- James 4:2-3 KJV
Ye lust, and have not; ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain; ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
- Psalms 66:18 KJV
If I regard iniquity in my heart, the LORD will not hear me.
- 1 John 5:14 KJV
And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask any thing according to His will, He hearth us.
WE CALL UPON THE LORD FOR SALVATION
- Acts 2:21 NKJV And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be saved.
- Romans 10:9-10 KJV That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the LORD JESUS, and shalt believe in thine heart that GOD hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
THE LORD EXPECTS US TO PRAY
- 1 Timothy 2:8 NKJV I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
WE SHOULD PRAY FOR ONE ANOTHER
- 1 Thessalonians 5:25 NKJV Brethren, pray for us.
- James 5:15 NKJV And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the LORD shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
WE SHOULD PRAY FOR THE SALVATION OF OTHERS
- Romans 10:1 NKJV Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to GOD for Israel is, that they might be saved.
WE SHOULD PRAY FOR OUR POLITICAL LEADERS
- 1 Timothy 2:1-2 NKJV I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
PRAYER IS FOR MAKING REQUESTS
- Psalms 20:5 We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our GOD we will set up our banners! May the LORD fulfill all thy petitions.
- 1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications (requests), prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
PRAYER IS FOR THANKSGIVING
- Psalms 100:4 Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
- 1 Chronicles 16:34 O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good; for His mercy endureth forever.
PRAYER IS FOR WORSHIP
- Hebrews 13:15-16 By Him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to GOD continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His name. But to do good and to communicate forget not, for with such sacrifices GOD is well pleased.
- Psalms 95:6 O come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the LORD our maker.
- Psalms 113:3 From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD’s name is to be praised.
-Must be from the heart, not just words
- Matthew 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoureth Me with their lips; But their heart is far from Me.
PRAYER IS FOR CONFESSION
- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sin, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
PRAYER ACKNOWLEDGES OUR DEPENDENCE ON THE LORD
- Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; But in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto GOD.
-Pray with thanksgiving. Do not be without gratitude.
PRAYER REPLACES WORRY AND STRESS
- 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon Him; For He careth for you.
- Proverbs 16:3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
Prayer is talking to God. It is as important as breathing. Jesus, in His early life here on earth, showed us how prayer is important to His relationship with His Father in heaven. He OFTEN withdrew to lonely places and PRAY (Luke 5:16).
As Christians, we desire to be like CHRIST. To be like Him, we should pray often. Pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Because the more we talk to God, the more we get close to Him, the more we become like Jesus.